There’s about a 70% chance that we will have an opportunity this afternoon (Wednesday 1/31) to be able to perform an equipment upgrade at Diamondback Tower. Subscribers served by that tower may encounter several brief (about two minute) outages, along with possibly somewhat slower performance from the temporary mast we’ll be setting up to provide service while the original tower is being re-engineered. This work will affect only subscribers served by Diamondback Tower.
As a result of a long-term project accomplished earlier this week, subscribers are now seeing faster speeds and improved response times. Most subscribers are experiencing sustained speeds exceeding their contract limits (some are seeing double their contract limit), with an additional speed boost layered on top whenever possible for brief, non-sustained transactions such as web surfing. Continue reading
I’m happy to report that, as far as we have been able to determine, all our speed-related problems at Mockingbird Tower are now resolved. Assuming this announcement doesn’t generate a spate of contrary responses, our next task will be to arrange for incremental UPS protection at our towers, beginning with the ones that are most highly subscribed; and working with our consultants to assure that we can deliver to our subscribers all the untapped bandwidth currently available at our Internet gateway.
For the technically curious, a brief description of the source of our speed problems appears below. (Warning: unpaved roads ahead!) Continue reading
We found and corrected the source of the frequent four-second timeout pauses. Mockingbird subscribers will now at least be seeing consistent data delivery, just not yet at the speeds we would like to deliver. What the tower is delivering right now should be fine for browsing, mail, and even a Netflix movie, but heavy data demands like Windows/Mac updates will still take longer than usual.
We are continuing to work on the speed problem with our dedicated and knowledgeable consultants.
After last night’s testing, we suspect the most probable cause of the performance problem at Mockingbird is a bad customer roof unit radio hashing our tower. We’ve exhausted all the minimally invasive tests we can run. Starting tonight, we’re running a Big Sleep test on all our Mockingbird subscriber units. Continue reading
Condensed version: We’ve narrowed down the Mockingbird Tower problem to RF noise that spikes periodically. Our tower equipment and configuration are clean and validated. We now need to perform after-midnight testing over the next few days that will result in brief (10-20 minute) interruptions of service for a number of the subscribers on this tower.
Details and analysis follow for the technically curious. Continue reading
After several abortive ordering attempts (in which “in stock” on a website listing apparently translated to “let us check our warehouse” once the order was placed), we located a dealer with a replacement antenna actually in stock. We have been verbally assured that our replacement unit shipped yesterday, and are awaiting written confirmation including a tracking number. In the absence of nasty surprises, we plan to be replacing the Mockingbird central antenna this weekend.
We are also going to be subjecting the Rio Vista antenna (same manufacturer and model) to testing to determine if it shows any early symptoms of the same failure mode, in case a prophylactic replacement is indicated.
As of about an hour ago, we believe we have found our issue with Mockingbird Tower Central, and taken steps to provide immediate improvement. Although speeds are not at the level they were three weeks ago (due to suspected antenna hardware damage and pending part arrival and replacement), they should be greatly improved over the degraded performance seen over the past week. Please drop us an email if you are not seeing adequate performance for your equipment.
Technical details follow for the curious.
Today’s status for Mockingbird Tower subscribers…